Dreaming of studying in the UK? If yes this article is for you but before you pack your bags, there’s an important hurdle to jump: the student visa fee. Keeping track of the cost can be tricky, especially with ever-changing UK immigration rules. That’s why I’m writing this article so we can tackle it together
How much does the UK student visa cost for Nigerians? As of January 2024, you’ll need to pay $490, which is around ₦466,298.70 in Nigerian currency. Please note that the UK student visa fee in ₦ (naira) is as per the current CBN exchange rate as of 13th January 2024. The Bad news is that the visa fee is non-refundable even if your application is denied.
Let’s talk about the good news, you can apply up to three months before your planned UK adventure begins. And if you’re already in the UK and need to extend or switch your student visa, the fee remains the same.
But wait, there’s more! The cost isn’t one-size-fits-all. It depends on the type of student visa you need. Here’s a quick breakdown:
|UK Student Visa Type
|Fee in Pound Sterling (£)
|Fee in Naira (₦)
|Child Student visa
|Study English in the UK (Short-term study visa)
Documents Required for UK Student Visa Application
If you are asking What Documents are Required to Apply for a UK Student Visa in Nigeria? Below are the documents to prove that you qualify to study in the UK. These supporting documents vary based on the type of visa; however, they usually include the following:
- Confirmation of Acceptance for Study (CAS): This is gotten from the UK school you applied to study in, it serves as your visa invitation that proves that you have gotten admission.
- Valid Passport/Travel Documentation: Your passport must be valid for the duration of your intended stay in the UK. Other acceptable travel documents may apply, so check the official guidelines.
- Financial Proof: This shows your ability to cover living expenses and course fees. Accepted sources include bank statements, scholarships, or sponsor documentation.
- English Proficiency Test Results: Prove your English language skills meet UK academic standards through accredited tests like IELTS or TOEFL.
- Tuberculosis Test Results (if applicable): Depending on your nationality and course, a tuberculosis test may be mandatory.
- Passport-Size Color Photo: Meet the specified photo requirements for your visa application.
- Academic Credentials: Submit your school certificates and transcripts to showcase your academic qualifications.
- Under 18 Documents (if applicable): If you’re under 18, gather written consent from both parents or legal guardians for your visa application, living arrangements, and travel to the UK. Include your birth certificate or legal ID showing parental names.
Remember: Additional documents may be requested at the visa application center, including biometric information.
- 10 high-paying part-time jobs for international students in Canada 2024
- How to apply for Michigan State University from Nigeria, requirements, tuition fees, USA student visa duration
- Universities in Belgium to study without IELTS Test 2024
- 50+ UK Universities You Can Study Without IELTS in 2024
- How to Win 2024 Scholarships With Low CGPA
How to pay for UK Student visa fee in Nigeria Online
Do you want to pay for your UK visa fees online but don’t know payment methods you can use for a successful payment, this section of this interesting article is for you. There are several ways you can pay for your UK student visa online, I have listed and explained them below.
- Pay Using Debit (ATM) or Credit Card: If you’re applying online and you have Nigerian bank card (GTB, Zenith, etc.), paying your visa fee with a credit or debit card is a breeze. No need to exchange currency—the conversion is done automatically by your Bank. The exchange rate at the time of payment determines the naira amount that will be deducted from your Bank account or your credit card.
- Pay Using Alternative Payment Method: If you don’t have Debit or Credit card you can use other alternative payment methods like Pay4me, Chipper, or Klasha App. Download their apps, follow their simple instructions, and say goodbye to visa fee worries. These options often offer speed and convenience too!
- Always choose trusted payment platforms for secure transactions.
- Double-check exchange rates before confirming your payment.
- Don’t hesitate to contact the UK Visa Application Centre for any clarifications.
How much is IHS fee for a UK Student visa?
The Immigration Healthcare Surcharge (IHS) is a mandatory annual fee for non-UK students applying for visas, including Nigerians. This contribution unlocks access to the NHS throughout your visa period. The cost is £470 per year, roughly equivalent to ₦574,215.
For a three-year undergraduate degree, you’d pay £1,645 (₦2,009,890), while a ten-month Masters course would require £705 (₦861,355). Remember to factor this cost into your budgeting for your UK studies.
How Long Does It for UK Student Visa to Be Approved?
UK Student Visa is processed and approved with 3 weeks. However, keep in mind that complex applications or additional document requests by the Home Office can lead to delays.
How To Know If My UK Student Visa is Approved
Do you want to know your UK Visa application status whether it has been approved or not? To track your UK student visa application from Nigeria there are two ways you can do that.
- Online tracking: Head to the UK Visas and Immigration online services (UKVI) website. Simply enter your reference number and last name to access any updates on your application’s status.
- Contact UKVI: Give UKVI a call at +44 (0)300 790 6268 (calls cost 69p per minute). Choose option 1 to speak to a representative about your application’s progress.
How to Make My UK Visa to Come Out Fast
Did you know you can fast-track your UK student visa processing if you’re applying from Nigeria? Many students worry about visa delays, but there are options. Pay £250 for the Priority Service and get your decision within 5 working days. If your student start date is looming, opt for the Super Priority Service for a guaranteed decision in just 1 day (for £956). Breathe easy and focus on your studies knowing your visa future is sorted.