Pursuing higher education abroad can be an enriching and transformative experience, but the financial burden can often pose a significant challenge. To alleviate this concern, the Dutch government, in collaboration with various Dutch research universities and universities of applied sciences, has established the NL Scholarship, formerly known as the Holland Scholarship.
This merit-based scholarship aims to support talented international students from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) who aspire to undertake their bachelor’s or master’s studies in the Netherlands.
The NL Scholarship provides a financial boost of €5,000, awarded during the first year of studies. While it may not cover the entirety of tuition expenses, it serves as a valuable contribution towards reducing the financial strain, allowing students to focus more fully on their academic pursuits.
- To be eligible for the NL Scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Hold a non-EEA nationality
- Have applied for a full-time bachelor’s or master’s program at a participating Dutch higher education institution
- Fulfill the specific admission and program requirements of the chosen institution
- Not have previously studied at an educational institution in the Netherlands
The application process for the NL Scholarship is straightforward and managed directly through the participating universities. Applicants are encouraged to thoroughly review the application deadlines and eligibility requirements on the respective university websites.
NL Scholarship Participating Research Universities
Universities participating in the NL Scholarship for the 2024-2025 academic year.
- Leiden University
- Utrecht University
- University of Groningen
- Erasmus University Rotterdam
- Maastricht University
- VU Amsterdam
- Radboud University
- Tilburg University
- Delft University of Technology
- Eindhoven University of Technology
- University of Twente
- Wageningen University
- Theological University Apeldoorn
- Theological University Kampen
Participating Universities of Applied Sciences 2024-2025
- Aeres University of Applied Sciences
- Amsterdam University of the Arts
- ArtEZ Institute of the Arts
- Breda University of Applied Sciences
- Codarts Rotterdam
- Design Academy Eindhoven
- Driestar educatief
- Fontys University of Applied Sciences
- Gerrit Rietveld Academie
- The Hague University of Applied Sciences
- Hanze University of Applied Sciences
- Hotelschool The Hague
- Royal Academy of Art, The Hague
- Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences
- HU University of Applied Sciences Utrecht
- Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences
- HAN University of Applied Sciences
- HKU University of Applied Sciences
- HZ University of Applied Sciences
- NHL Stenden University of Applied Sciences
- Saxion University of Applied Sciences
- Van Hall Larenstein University of Applied Sciences
- Zuyd University of Applied Sciences
The NL Scholarship offers a multitude of benefits for aspiring international students:
- Financial Assistance: The scholarship provides a substantial €5,000 to alleviate tuition expenses, easing the financial burden associated with studying abroad.
- Academic Excellence: The scholarship recognizes and supports academically talented students, fostering a stimulating and competitive learning environment.
- Cultural Immersion: Studying in the Netherlands exposes students to a vibrant and diverse culture, broadening their perspectives and enriching their personal experiences.
- Career Enhancement: A degree from a reputable Dutch university enhances one’s employability and opens doors to promising career opportunities.
- Networking Opportunities: The scholarship creates a network of talented international students, fostering connections and potential collaborations
The NL Scholarship represents a significant investment in the future of international students, enabling them to pursue their educational aspirations and contribute meaningfully to society. By alleviating financial constraints, the scholarship empowers individuals to excel academically, embrace cultural diversity, and embark on successful careers.